Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Incomparable Life

If you have ever taken your life for granted, been ungrateful or unappreciative, or just don't know the value of what you have, please do yourself a favour and watch the film - 127 hours. I struggle to find the words that will justify the emotions invoked in me when I saw the struggle that Aron Ralston faced. A mountaineer, who found himself in an unfortunate position when his arm got trapped under a boulder, is just the surface of extremities that he deals with. My heart was physically aching with frustration watching this man is pain and unable to help him, I found myself suffocating in his feelings and enraged with desperation. As he realises his only chance of survival is cutting off his own arm - I cringe and prepare myself mentally to go on that journey with him - something I wouldn't even think to consider if I was in his shoes. But now I'm there with him.

I walked out of the cinema, with tears dripping from my face, but more importantly, with an overwhelming sense of gratefulness and faith. I thought of all the incomparable 'hardships' I had faced in my life. Breakups, strained relationships, minor health issues, fights with friends, separation, judgments... yet still... I couldn't justify all my pain joint together, with that one week of his life. I felt slightly embarrassed for the way I have reacted to problems in my lifetime. It seems so petty in relation to this man and his will.

Of course we cannot all put ourselves on his level and assume we should never complain again. But in some instances I think this is true. To endure what he did, and have the self discipline to sever off his own limb - with no anesthetic - with no energy - with no guarantee of surviving through it - I think that is the true representation of a hero. Why do we idolize the people, the celebrities who have it easy?! Why do we think people that have everything handed to them on a silver platter are the people we should strive to be like? Surely, someone who was survived a massive challenge, and come out the other end humble, stronger and still mentally intact, should be the real hero to us?

Every time I face a difficult situation, or feel like I am not demonstrating my gratitude, I will remember that mans face. I will recall the incredible strength he drew from the core of his being. I will remind myself - that no matter what I am facing - I face it with all of myself intact and I am lucky for that. We take ourselves for granted because we are born this way. We expect every part of ourselves to function correctly, because we were born with it and therefore we deserve it. What about those who were not born with all the normalities? What about those who lose a part of them self due to a tragic accident? It could happen to anyone. You never know when.

So be gracious and appreciative and if you are unlucky enough to face a horrid fate, let your mind draw courage from the deepest depth of your being. It can't compare to his man.

No comments:

Post a Comment